Holbrook Bypass opens next week

Traffic will start using the Holbrook Bypass from next Wednesday (31 July) meaning for the first time people will be able to drive all the way from Melbourne to Sydney along a modern dual carriageway road.

This follows the completion of the construction phase of the Hume Highway last month.Trafic

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Anthony Albanese said the Holbrook bypass will provide motorists with a faster, safer trip between Sydney and Melbourne.

“The bypass will take up to 2,700 trucks a day off the local streets of Holbrook, steering them away from residential and shopping areas and provide a safer environment for pedestrians in the township,” he said.

“Motorists who use this section of the highway will experience safer driving conditions and shorter travel times.”

NSW Minister for Roads and Ports Duncan Gay said traffic will be moved on to the bypass in four stages on 31 July, starting with north bound traffic in two stages from about 7:30 am.

“South bound traffic is expected to be moved on to the new road by 4:00 pm, weather permitting,” he said.

“Work will take place to remove concrete barriers and old line marking during each of the four stages of the traffic switch.

“For the safety of workers, an 80 kilometre per hour speed limit will be in place for a week after the bypass opens while final work is completed, after which the 110 kilometre per hour speed limit will be introduced.”

The bypass starts four kilometres north of Holbrook where it crosses west of the cemetery, sewage treatment plant and industrial area and then crosses Culcairn Road.

From Culcairn Road the bypass crosses Ten Mile Creek and re-joins the existing Hume Highway two kilometres south of Holbrook.

The $242 million Holbrook bypass was fully funded by the Federal Government.

 

Heavy vehicle related deaths rise - latest report NHVR seeks feedback on heavy vehicle access applications

Author:

Share This Post On